Awards and Recognitions:
- AV (Preeminent) Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 2005-2017.
- AV (Preeminent) Client Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 2005-2017.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as one of America’s top lawyers in the field of Real Estate, 2013-2017.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as one of the Top 7 Real Estate Law Firms in Eastern North Carolina 2013-2017
- Recognized by Super Lawyers magazine as a Super Lawyer in the field of Banking, 2014-2017
- Recognized by Super Lawyers magazine as a member of the Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” in the field of Banking, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- Recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as a member of the “Legal Elite” in the field of Real Estate, 2009, 2011-2013, 2017.
- Recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as a member of the “Young Guns” for best lawyers under the age of 40, 2009 and 2010.
- Recognized by American Society of Legal Advocates as one of the Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 in North Carolina in the field of Real Estate, 2013.
- Wake Forest Law Review, Staff Member, 1998-1999.
- Wake Forest Law Review, Symposium Editor, 1999-2000.
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2010 –
North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Section Council, 2007-2010
- Chair, Joint Task Force on Standardized Forms, 2008-2009
- Co-Chair, Joint Task Force on Standardized Forms, 2009-2010
- Lecturer and Course Planner
New York Bar Association
American Bar Association
- Co-Vice Chair, Workouts, Foreclosures and Bankruptcy Committee of Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, 2010 –
- Chair, Senior Housing and Assisted Living Committee Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, 2004-2008
- Vice Chair, Residential, Multi-Family and Special Use Group Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, 2008-2009
- Chair, Residential, Multi-Family and Special Use Group Real Property, Probate and Trust Section, 2009-2010
- Course Planner
North Carolina Land Title Association
North Carolina Bankers Association
The Risk Management Association
- Carruthers & Roth, P.A., Greensboro, NC, 2000-2005
- Helms Mulliss & Wicker, PLLC, (now McGuireWoods, LLP), Wilmington, NC, 2005-2006
Recent Transactions and Engagements:
- Represented national and regional lending institutions in foreclosures, workouts, loan modifications, forbearance agreements, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, bankruptcies and other creditors’ rights transactions, proceedings and situations.
- Represented national and regional lending institutions in lending transactions throughout the southeast, establishing various credit facilities for lot developers, homebuilders, condominium developers, marina developers, townhome developers, hotel operators, restaurant operators, apartment developers, shopping center developers, multi-specialty medical practices, golf course developers, convenience store operators, drug store operators and manufacturing businesses.
- Represented condominium developers, townhome developers, single-family home developers, golf course developers and marina developers throughout NC in various land acquisitions and dispositions, financing arrangements, contract negotiations, community documentation and other matters.
- Represented landowner in prolonged zoning case regarding a request for a zoning text change for increased density and additional permitted uses.
- Represented commercial real estate firm, office building owners and shopping center owners in the preparation and negotiation of various leases.
- Represented national title insurance companies regarding title issues in large multi-state transactions and other transactions.
- Represented large publicly-traded company in contract negotiations and due diligence process for large land assemblage.
- Represented automobile dealers, restaurant owners and various other businesses in business acquisitions and dispositions.
- Served as expert witness in NC Superior Court regarding matters of commercial real estate and commercial transactions.
- Served as expert witness in US Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of NC regarding matters of real estate title.
- Represented regional lending institution in sale of loan portfolio to another regional lending institution.
- Represented national lending institutions in acquisitions and dispositions of various branch locations.
- Represented national title insurance companies regarding title insurance claims.